We can’t wait to SEE YOU IN PERSON for MoonSchool Summer 2021! We know you have a lot of questions. Let us answer them for you! If we don’t cover something, please feel free to reach out to Director of Education Anne Norland at Anne@42ndstmoon.org or use our form feature below.
What makes MoonSchool special?
42nd Street Moon, which is the production company that parents MoonSchool, is a professional, equity theatre company based in San Francisco. Participation in MoonSchool means you are a part of the Moon Community! You will be invited to Moon shows, events, workshops, and councils. MoonSchoolers often go on to perform in 42nd Street Moon productions and in Moon’s annual gala, or other special events. Some take on leadership roles in our committees, such as our MoonSchool Diversity Equity, and Inclusion council, as teaching assistants or councilors in MoonSchool classes and camps, or as part of the professional production team. In addition, MoonSchool develops full, well-rounded artists. Even performance-based programs that highlight acting, singing, and dancing also incorporate backstage skills such as set, prop, and costume design and creation. MoonSchool promotes theatre skills as life skills. We focus on process, ensemble-building, cooperation, collaboration, teamwork, work ethic, resilience, and emotional intelligence.
What are camp hours?
Madagascar JR (June 14 – July 2) & Annie KIDS (July 26 – August 13) camp hours are 9:00am – 3:00pm. A Chorus Line (July 5 – July 23) hours are 9:00am – 4:00pm. We are not able to offer before- or after-camp care this year.
Where do summer programs take place?
Summer 2021 programs will take place in the covered archway space in front of 42nd Street Moon’s very own professional theatre, Gateway Theatre at 215 Jackson Street. Rehearsals (camp days) will take place entirely outside, rain or shine.
Will there be a performance?
YES! Performances will take place at 2:00pm on the final Friday camp day. Unfortunately, this will not be open to the public. For now (as of 3/29/21) we plan to allow one representative of each student to attend the final performance. If that changes, we will let you know.
What are MoonSchool’s safety protocols for COVID-19?
- All staff will be vaccinated prior to the camp start dates.
- Each participant and staff member will be required to wear a mask at all times
- All activities will take place in the covered archway outside of Gateway Theatre where fresh outdoor air circulates. One exception to outdoor is use of restrooms, which are located inside and participants will be allowed to use one at a time. All available windows and doors accessible to outdoor air will be kept open.
- All participants will be screened as part of the morning check-in process including
- Daily temperature checks with infrared thermometer
- Screening for symptoms, potential exposure, and awaiting of test results
- All individuals will maintain a minimum of 6 feet of social distance between them, except when staff must provide developmentally appropriate support or supervision (for example: staff applying first aid or helping a young camper open a snack)
- All participants and staff will practice frequent hand-washing and sanitizing
- Staff will sanitize high-touch surfaces between use
- Any supplies that must be shared will be disinfected between each use
- Cohorts will be limited to 14 participants (campers) in our outdoor space. If we are able to expand our space, we may be able to open our program up to 24 students
Will there be a refund if outdoor camp as advertised is cancelled due to COVID-19?
If programs are cancelled before the first day, you will be offered a refund of 50% of your deposit. If the program is cancelled after the first day, you will be offered a 75% refund for the total cost of the program or be given the option to bank or transfer your funds to a future program.
What is the back-up plan in place if in-person activities are restricted again?
Over the past year, we have found incredible ways of keeping theatre alive through virtual musicals. If necessary, we are prepared to move to a hybrid in-person/online or fully virtual camp program.
Can my student sign up for multiple camp sessions?
Yes! You can sign up for any program within the appropriate age range.
- Students entering 2nd-6th grade are welcome to sign up for Madagascar JR OR Annie KIDS
- Students entering 6th-8th grade are welcome to sign up for Madagascar JR OR A Chorus Line HSE
- Students entering 8th-12th grade are welcome to sign up for A Chorus Line HSE
Why are there grade overlaps?
Parents/Guardians know their student best, so those “in-between” grades allow families to choose the program that makes the most sense for their performer. If you need support with this decision, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Director of Education Anne Norland for guidance at Anne@42ndStMoon.org
What about backstage skills?
At MoonSchool, participants engage in multiple angles of theatre, learning about singing, dancing, and acting, as well as backstage skills. Students work with designers to understand the process of creating a vision for the production elements of a show. Students will get hands-on experience building sets, costumes, and props. With COVID restrictions, some of our applications will be different than previous years, but students will still be dipping their toes in all areas of theatre.
Are there financial aid opportunities?
Yes! To inquire about financial aid, please complete this financial aid request form. We are able to offer a limited number of full or partial scholarships, as well as payment plans, each session, thanks to our generous donors and board of directors. If you are SURE You want to register, you can register AND request financial aid at the same time by using THIS FORM.
What happens after I register?
You will be sent THIS FORM to complete your registration. Then you’ll receive more information about daily schedules, forms you need to complete, and more up-to-date details as June 1st approaches. Again, if you are requesting financial aid, you can register AND request financial aid at the same time by using that same form.