(formerly the Eureka Theatre)
On July 1, 2017, 42nd Street Moon took over management of the Eureka Theatre, its home for the past 15 years. Per the lease agreement, the name has been changed to the Gateway Theatre.
We are currently making cosmetic improvements to enhance the customer experience, including painting the lobby and auditorium and replacing the seating. We have also made some improvements to the lighting and sound systems.
42nd Street Moon is working with the Golden Gateway Partners on a long-term (minimum 10 year) lease to ensure the arts remain a vibrant and vital presence in the neighborhood. Once that lease is finalized, we will be embarking on a capital campaign to make the Gateway one of the premier medium-size theaters in San Francisco.
The Gateway is currently home to 42nd Street Moon and Theatre Rhinoceros as well as SF ArtsEd, and is one of the venues for SF SketchFest. The theater is available for other events, including short-run plays or musicals, recitals and corporate or neighborhood meetings. As we complete the transition we will have a full rental information package available online; please call 415.255.8207 if you have any interest or questions about theater rental.
Directions and Parking
Note: The theatre changed names from the Eureka to the Gateway in July 2017. Online maps (including the one above) and other information sources may still list it as the Eureka. It is the same location.
Best parking locations for the Gateway Theatre are:
• Golden Gateway Parking Garage, enter on Clay Street between Front and Battery (two blocks due south of the theatre)
• Embarcadero Center Garage, enter on Battery Street between Clay and Sacramento (two and a half blocks south of the theatre)
• Street parking is often available on the evenings and weekends, and is free after 6 PM.
Food & Drink:
There are limited concessions at the theatre (cookies, chips, soda, water, coffee, wine, beer) available before the show or at intermission.
San Francisco is one of the great food cities on the planet, so there’s no dearth of eating options. Here is a small, non-endorsed sample in the immediate vicinity of the Eureka:
• Subway Sandwiches immediately adjacent to theatre
• Togo’s Sandwiches around the corner on Battery Street
• Safeway at Jackson and Davis Street (one block east)
• Starbucks at Jackson and Davis Street (one block east)
• The Ferry Building (two blocks east, on The Embarcadero) has a number of interesting food and drink options
• The Old Ship at Battery Street and Pacific Avenue (one block north)
• Kokkari, directly across from the theatre
• 5A5 Steak Lounge, directly across from the theatre
Numerous other options are available within a moderate walk (1/4 to 1/2 mile) west on Jackson to Columbus Street.